Your smile can become devasted by tooth decay and periodontal disease. However, with proactive attention to the teeth and gums, you can reduce your risk of developing cavities or an infection. Dr. John Schmid of Contemporary Cosmetic Dentistry in Austin, TX, can educate you on ways to keep your smile healthy!
What Are Some Steps That I Can Take To Prevent Cavities?
Below are just a few recommendations from Dr. John Schmid and his team:
- Brush and floss your teeth twice each day. Brushing with fluoride toothpaste helps remove food particles, plaque, and even bacteria from the surfaces of your teeth, that can lead to cavities. Flossing works to remove plaque and bacteria from between the teeth and underneath the gum line where a toothbrush cannot reach.
- Cut back on sugary foods and drinks, particularly sticky or hard candies that stay in contact with your teeth longer than other treats. Avoid soda and energy drinks, which have high sugar content and promote decay-causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Reduce your intake of snacks between meals as it exposes your teeth to acid production by bacteria breaking down food particles left on the surface of your teeth for a more extended period of time.
- Drink plenty of water. Water is not only a good idea for keeping your body hydrated, but it can also maintain saliva production to ensure food particles are washed away after meals, even if you are unable to brush and floss.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants, which are plastic coatings used to cover deep grooves and depressions on chewing surfaces of back teeth where cavities often occur. Dental sealants act as physical barriers that prevent food particles, plaque, and bacteria from sticking to tooth surfaces.
- Visit your dentist for regular professional cleanings and check-ups every six months. During a dental check-up, both Dr. John Schmid and his hygienist can identify areas in the mouth that are more prone to cavities and provide preventive treatment to help protect your teeth from decay.
Schedule a Consultation Visit With Dr. John Schmid of Contemporary Cosmetic Dentistry
If you are a patient who lives in the area of Austin, TX, and want to speak to our team about ways in which you can reduce your risk of cavities, call 512-329-5967 to schedule an appointment. Our office is open to new and returning patients and provides convenient Saturday appointments for our busiest families!