An amazing thing about dental implants is they can last a lifetime if you look after them. And you don’t need to make any drastic changes to your routine to keep them in great shape. With these seven dental implant care tips, you should be able to enjoy your restored new smile for years:
- Brush twice a day: Good oral hygiene is still important after tooth loss. While dental implants do not get cavities, they can accumulate food particles, bacteria, and plaque.
- Floss once a day: Cleaning between your implants keeps your gums healthy. You may be advised to use interdental brushes or a water flosser in lieu of regular dental floss.
- Avoid abrasive products: Stronger is not always better. Hard bristle brushes and gritty toothpaste do not clean more effectively. Instead, these products can cause damage.
- Do not chew on hard items: Dental implants restore your ability to eat your favorite foods. However, that does not mean you should crunch down on ice, candy, or pencils.
- Stop smoking: Smoking is a risk factor for dental implant failure. It can negatively impact the success of your implants. It results in delayed healing and gum issues.
- Seek treatment for teeth grinding: Excessive grinding of your teeth or clenching of your jaw can take a toll on your implants. Talk to our dentist about getting a custom dental nightguard. It may help with headaches, jaw tension, and other issues, too.
- Schedule regular dental visits: Implants still require professional cleanings and consistent dental checkups. Our dentist will tell you how often to visit our office.
Keep in mind that many of these tips apply to single implants. Overdentures, also known as implant-supported dentures, require a few different steps. For example, they do not need to be flossed. However, it is important to soak them in an appropriate cleaning solution every day.
Get Personalized Recommendations Today
Dr. John Schmid is a skilled implant dentist offering individualized attention to all patients. He will gladly help you identify simple lifestyle changes that can support your implant success.
Schedule your complimentary smile consultation at 512-329-5967. Contemporary Cosmetic Dentistry proudly serves Austin, Bee Cave, Lakeway, and nearby communities in Texas.